Home > Interviewing A Midwife
Interviewing a Homebirth Midwife
Finding the right midwife to attend your birth is important. The area you live in may have several midwives to choose from or you may not have a selection at all. Either way, it is important to ask a potential midwife questions that will help give you comfort in her experience and knowledge. Asking these questions will help determine whether she is a good fit for your homebirth.
This list of questions is not exhaustive and you should ask any other questions you have during your pregnancy that cause you concern.
- What is included in the fees? What do I need to provide for a home birth?
- At what point in my labor will you come to my home to assist with labor/birth?
- How many births have you attended?
- What is your hospital transfer rate?
- What care would you provide to me if a transfer were necessary?
- What is your experience with home births after caesarean (HBAC)?
- How many home birth clients do you typically have in a four-week period and what is your plan if you have two clients laboring/giving birth at the same time?
- Have you ever handled a postpartum hemorrhage? What protocol do you use to stop excessive bleeding after delivery?
- Have you ever missed a homebirth? If so, what were the circumstances?
- Are you available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during my pregnancy?
- Do you have a back-up physician?
- Do you require specific tests during pregnancy? (i.e. One-Hour Glucose Screen, Group B Strep, etc.)
- Do you allow a mother to go past 42 weeks and still have a homebirth?
- Do you require a childbirth preparation class to prepare for homebirth?
- What is your role during a birth?
- Do I need to hire a doula for labor support or do you provide that also?
- What equipment and supplies do you bring to a birth?
- Are you able to suture the perineum if necessary?
- How long do you stay after the birth? Do you help clean up?
- Do you provide post-natal visits in the days after the home birth?
- What is your standard for cord clamping and cutting?
- Will you use a fetal scope in place of a Doppler if requested?
- How many assistants do you typically bring to a home birth?
- If you are sick, who will attend me?
- Do you perform episiotomies? If so, how many have you performed?
- Have you had any bad outcomes with a mother/baby? Please explain them.
- Do you have experience breastfeeding? Will you be able to help me with any breastfeeding problems?
- What is your experience with herbs, homeopathy & alternative medicine?
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions pertaining to Family Midwifery Care.